WINDY CITY TIMES
||'Art and Social Progress' Oct. 14
In concert with its ongoing virtual exhibition, "Anthem," Weinberg/Newton Gallery has partnered with the American Civil Liberties Union ( ACLU ) to present the virtual panel discussion "Art and Social Progress: Creating a Better World" on Wed., Oct. 14, 7-8 p.m.
The event will begin with a showcase of artist performances, followed by a discussion of the intersection between art and social activism. This panel is the second of the three-part virtual event "Vote Like Your Rights Depend On It: 2020 Election Series."
WBEZ's Carrie Shepherd will moderate the panel, which includes former Hamilton actor/singer Ari Asfar; performer, artist and researcher Ellen Rothenberg; and social-justice artist Adeshola Makinde.
"Anthem" is currently available for viewing online at anthem.weinbergnewtongallery.com as well as the gallery's storefront windows at 688 N. Milwaukee Ave. through Saturday, Dec. 19.
"Art and Social Progress" is free and registration is required. To register, visit action.aclu.org/webform/art-and-social-progress-creating-better-world .
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|LGBT HISTORY MONTH: SF supe vows to landmark Lyon-Martin house 2020-10-17|
- A San Francisco supervisor has vowed to landmark the home where the late lesbian pioneering couple Phyllis Lyon and Del Martin lived throughout most of their 54 years together. Historic preservationists, friends of the couple, and ...
|Jeannie Tanner releases inspirational song, art-inclusive video
- Local singer-songwriter Jeannie Tanner has released her new single and video, "I Wanna Be the Change." According to a press release, the song was inspired by many of the speeches of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. ...
|Center on Halsted's Valle, artist Sam Kirk among Latinx Community Champions
- Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot will join the Office of Community Engagement and other City leaders for a celebratory virtual event to commemorate Latinx Heritage Month by honoring 19 "Campeones de la Communidad Latina" ("Latinx Community Champions") ...
|Matthew-Lee Erlbach talks Be An #ArtsHero, career, other endeavors 2020-10-14|
- Writer, actor and filmmaker Matthew-Lee Erlbach is on a mission to get financial relief to the many arts workers and institutions impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Erlbach is calling on U.S. senators to sponsor the DAWN ...
|Collaborate Arts Institute to mark 10th anniversary 2020-10-12|
- Collaborative Arts Institute of Chicago (CAIC), 7409 N. Greenview Ave., is celebrating its 10th-anniversary season with fall offerings that include the annual Collaborative Works Festival, two recitals as part of the Lieder Lounge series and the ...
|Red Stars add new player, lose finale and are part of national camp
- The Chicago Red Stars announced the signing of Ella Stevens. The club selected Stevens with the 24th pick in the 2020 NWSL Draft. She made her first appearance for the Red Stars on a short-term contract ...
|Nat'l AIDS Memorial to launch 50-state AIDS Memorial Quilt Virtual Exhibition 2020-10-09|
--From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO (October 9, 2020) — The National AIDS Memorial is announcing a virtual exhibition of the AIDS Memorial Quilt (the Quilt) that will feature more than 10,000 Quilt panels representing all 50 state and U.S. ...
|Robin Roberts, George Wendt and more part of Oct. 8 virtual party 2020-10-05|
- Good Morning America anchor Robin Roberts, comedic legends George Wendt and Tim Kazurinsky, and Chicago Bears legend Charles "Peanut" Tillman will be part of a virtual cocktail party supporting the work of the Illinois Medical District ...
|'Women of Broadway' series starts Oct. 24
- Northlight Theatre is one of a select group of nonprofit arts organizations participating in the three-part virtual concert series "Live from the West Side: Women of Broadway." The series will feature two-time Tony Award winner Patti ...
|Twelve northern Illinois arts organizations receive grants 2020-10-03|
- ComEd and the League of Chicago Theatres announced grants of up to $10,000 each to 12 non-profit arts organizations throughout northern Illinois to support the arts and encourage creativity. ComEd and the League, an alliance of ...
|African American Arts Alliance to hold auditions, workshop
- Sponsored by the African American Arts Alliance (AAAA) and in celebration of Black Arts Month this October, several Black theaters of Chicago will partner for a united audition for Black theater artists. The free, three-day event ...
|Artist Sarp Kerem Yavuz talks career, online auction, COVID-19 2020-10-01|
- When Sarp Kerem Yavuz was 5, he drew a boat with smiling passengers and a caption that read "The boat that was curious about what was under the sea." "I distinctly remember thinking about the internal ...
|NATIONAL Trans incidents, governors, It Gets Better, Keith Haring, Gloria Trevi 2020-09-29|
- The National Black Justice Coalition (NBJC) mourned the loss of Aerrion Burnett, a 37-year-old Black trans woman from Independence, Missouri who was found dead of a gunshot wound Sept. 19, a press release noted ...
|Artist-led "Retreat" to provide platform for creatives in food, music, art 2020-09-27|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Rebuild Foundation, the arts, education and cultural development organization founded by artist Theaster Gates, and Dorchester Industries today announced the opening of "RETREAT," an artist-led activation aimed at ...
|ELECTIONS 2020 Windy City Times printable election guide charts 2020-09-27|
- For printable Election Guide charts, please follow the link: http://www.windycitymediagroup.com/pdf/WCT_2020_9-27generalchartsforweb.pdf . Also see: Early voting and vote by mail information for Chicago ...